Guidance in Scotland

This page has information on how Scotland is dealing with the coronavirus.
Owing to the change in Coronavirus guidance, this page is currently under review. If you have any queries, please contact

This information was current at the time this page was last updated on: 14 April 2021, 11:43am

COVID-19 Timetable

The Scottish Government has set out its plan for easing the coronavirus (COVID-19) restrictions, starting from Friday 2 April 2021 into June 2021.

The dates are when the Government hopes to move to the next phase. These could change if the virus continues to spread.

You can see all of the stages and what happens at each step in the Easy Read below.

Easy Read: Scotland's COVID-19 Timetable (5Mb)


The Scottish Government has created ‘FACTS’ to help you remember what to do to keep you and other people safe from the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19).


Face coverings.
Avoid crowded places.
Clean hands regularly.
Two metre distance.
Self-isolate and book a test if you have symptoms.

The Scottish Government has created some accessible documents to help you remember the FACTS:


Close contact testing

If you are identified as a close contact of someone who has tested positive for coronavirus by Test and Protect, you will be asked to take a test.

You should do this at the start of your 10-day self-isolation period.

You will still need to isolate for the full 10 days even if you test negative for coronavirus.

For more information visit the Close Contact Testing section on the Scottish Government’s website.


Physical distancing

To stay safe and protect others we must stop the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) from one person to another.

This means keeping a 2-metre distance from others when in public places and indoors.

Where it is difficult to keep a 2-metre social distance, you should wear a face covering.

More information:


Face coverings

A face covering is a covering of any type, except a face shield, that covers the mouth and nose.

Every time you apply or remove a covering, it is important that you wash or sanitise your hands first and avoid touching your face.

Face coverings are mandatory in indoor places such as shops, cinemas, museums and community centres. They are also required on public transport, including trains, planes, trams, buses and ferries.

You must also wear a face covering indoors in communal areas in workplaces; for example, in passageways, stairs, lifts, staff rooms, training rooms, changing rooms and entrances.

Find out more about where you must wear a face covering in Scotland:

Some people are exempt from wearing a face covering. You can request an exemption card at:

The list of exemptions can be found at:

You may remove a face covering when eating or drinking.

A police officer may issue a fine of up to £60 if you break the rules, which can increase to £120 for repeat offences.

More information:



Extended households

People who live in different places can form an “extended household” in some circumstances.


If you live alone

If you are an adult and you live alone, or if all the others in your household are under 18, you, any children who live with you, and the members of one other household (of any size) can agree to form an ‘extended household’.

Everyone in the extended household will be treated as if they live in one household – meaning they can spend time together inside each other’s homes and do not need to stay at least 2 metres apart.

If anyone in the household gets symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19) everyone will need to self-isolate and wait for the person with symptoms to be tested.

If the person with symptoms tests positive, all members of their direct household must isolate for 14 days from the start of symptoms.


Couples who do not live together

If two adults are in a relationship and they do not live together they, and any children they each live with, can agree to form an ‘extended household’.


Shared parenting

Where parents do not live in the same household, children can be moved between their parents’ homes.

For further information about extended households, visit: 


Car sharing

You should only car share with members of your own, or extended, household.

If you are staff member at Thera, you can find more information on travelling on the further guidance for staff page.