Work-based Education: Training Placements

We offer training placements across our social enterprise businesses where individuals can get realistic work experience in a real, thriving business, and get the chance to set your own goals for your skills development.

Unity Works runs training opportunities across its social enterprises for people with a learning disability. These placements give trainees an opportunity to develop key skills within a real, thriving business, working alongside highly qualified staff who are competent both within their industry sector and also as effective and supportive mentors.


What accredited training do we offer?

We offer accredited qualifications through City and Guilds, giving learners the opportunity to gain an NVQ in the following subjects:

  • Level 1 NVQ Certificate in Hospitality Services (7131-04)
  • Level 1 NVQ Certificate in Food Preparation and Cooking (7131-03)
  • Level 2 NVQ Certificate in Hospitality Services (7132-09)
  • Level 2 NVQ in Food Production and Cooking (7132-06)
  • Level 1 NVQ in Warehouse and Storage Skills (1016-01)
  • Level 2 NVQ in Warehouse and Storage Skills (1016-02)

What does your vocational training look like?

Whilst many trainees look to gain accredited training on their path to employment, some trainees might not yet be ready for work. Unity Works have skilled staff that support individuals to instead focus on their personal goals and outcomes that will move them further towards the labour market.

Placements are tailored the individual learning plan around each trainee. We use RARPA (Recognising and Recording Progress and Achievement) and Individual Learning Plans, taking people’s needs and aspirations into account holistically. Trainees may also be able to access our other services such as Adult Community Learning and Supported Employment. Trainees will have at least an annual review to ensure they are enjoying their placement, continuing to develop their skills and to identify any new skills or experiences they might like to have.

How are training placements funded?

Trainee placements need to be funded. This is usually arranged through adult social care, personal budgets/direct payments, Education Health and Care Plans (EHCPs) or you can fund yourself.

How to refer? Referrals can be made by social workers, key workers, teachers/tutors/lecturers, parents, the person themselves or anyone else who may know someone who is interested. People must have a learning disability to be referred.

Contact Terry de Willers, Learning & Skills Coordinator, at and we will arrange a free taster for you.